Saturday 1 August 2015

Chicken Noodle Soup - What Not to Do.


My dad and I are struggling with meals at the moment. The problem is that I'm not a very good cook. I can bake no problem but cooking isn't something I actually enjoy doing never mind being good at it. My dad can cook but only the things that he loves. Both my sister and I were at the receiving end of many frozen meals when my mum started working. He would cook ours first (something from the freezer) which would be solid in the middle and then cook a lovely meal for himself and my mum. Separate because we didn't like it (and so my sister and I quickly learned how to heat up food).

So there lies the problem in a nutshell. There are very few things that we both like. I tended to fend for myself but even then I feel for my mum. There were one or two things that she used to make that we all loved. It's having the guts to make it because it's never going to be the same.

We had some chicken in the freezer which my mum had bought to make her chicken noodle soup. We need a new fridge freezer and need to start emptying the contents. This was the incentive I needed to make it and so make it I did.


I have to say that it doesn't look particularly appetising in this picture. However, it was okay. My dad liked it but there were one or two things that I wasn't happy with because I like to learn things the hard way. So here are the lessons that I learned.

1. Read the recipe ALL THE WAY THROUGH before starting. That way I will not chop up the chicken and throw it in but cook it whole then shred it and remove the bone.

2. Cut up the carrots a little bit more finely.

3. When reducing the portion sizes should also reduce the amount of noodles that goes in too.

4. Add that extra stock cube suggested by the book.

Only two real mistakes there. The rest is just a matter of taste. I didn't add the extra cube because I had reduced the portion size. I think I did okay since I had to guess where my mum had cut things down.

Earlier in the week I decided to make a stir fry. I haven't photographed it because, well, it didn't look particularly photogenic. I like a veggie stir fry so decided to try something different. I tried a Thai Satay stir fry. One of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten. I don't recommend it. My dad liked it! Hopefully we will find more things in common soon before we get fed up with the things we do like.


In other more exciting news I have this to look forward to (image from GBBO facebook page).

No comments:

Post a Comment