Monday 27 June 2016

The Great British Sewing Bee - Week 3, 4, 5 & 6


This is difficult. I thought that writing about four episodes of The Great British Sewing Bee would be simple. It's not. I work better reviewing this on a week to week basis. I have been putting it off as a result and I it is becoming a real possibility that I will have five episodes to review together.

The biggest problem was actually finding images of all the garments that won each round. I have given up on that and so here is a quick review of the four episodes I missed here on the blog.



We started off with lingerie week. I thought this would be quite a dull one. How exciting can it be? Actually it was pretty good and we got to see the contestants making bras. They seemed so footery and they all managed to make one (even if a few weren't wearable) but still they managed. I was impressed. I can't even remember what they did for the reconstruction challenge. However, they made dressing gowns for the final. The winner was this beautiful kimono by Charlotte. However, my favourite was a rather dramatic 5o's inspired gown by Angeline. 



We had 60's week which I new I was going to love. This art inspired panel dress was the first piece. While my favourite was by Rumana (I liked her colour choices). Joyce was actually the winner here. They also got to reconstruct outfits from PVC which was a 60's favourite. They ended with a 60's inspired coat. Sadly I couldn't find an image of the beautiful jacket made by Jade. It was a simple design but she went to town on making sure it was perfect in every detail.


Before 60's week there was actually international week. Sadly this image from the reconstruction round was the only one I could find. The contestants got to work with sari's. That would have been fun working with such beautiful fabrics (although footery). For the first they had to make beautiful silk Japanese inspired tops. I loved this round because of the vibrant colours. The final round involved making those famous African dresses. Again sadly, no image. Just about all of them were wonderfully bright. I was impressed.


Last week we had active wear. Again this was the only image that I could find. This was from the reconstruction round. The sewers had to make children's jackets from the most hideous 70's ski suits. Although this jacket was not the winner for this round it was by far my favourite. I thought it was quite inventive and I would have probably wanted on when I was little. The first round involved making a mans cycle top. I actually thought just about everyone did well there. They had to work with a very stretchy fabric and had to retain that stretch as well as create shape. I also loved the bright colour choices that most made. The final involved making a full yoga outfit. Again I was impressed as the sewers had to make leggings as well as a top. My favourite was actually Charlotte who was the only one who didn't go with the skin tight.


So we have the winners. As already mentioned, Charlotte won the lingerie with her kimono. I actually like Charlotte. She is quite a methodical sewer and she likes blues as I do.


Joyce won International week with her African dress. It was impressive but I wasn't a fan of the colours. I think Joyce is quite a fun person but I don't think it shows in her sewing much. She tends to go for traditional colours and her choices almost feel a little dated.


Jade is one of my favourite sewers. I like most of her choices and her style. She didn't seem to have much confidence in herself at the beginning of the show but that seems to have grown over time. I suppose winning garment of the week twice in a row would do that to you. She won for her 60's inspired jacket which I already mentioned was a favourite of mine. She also won last week for her yoga outfit which was pretty impressive.


Of course four contestants also left the show. The first was actually a big surprise. Jamie had won garment of the week twice in a row and then left after a disastrous week during the lingerie challenges. He just didn't manage his time well through out and his dressing gown didn't quite work out the way he wanted. I actually had him pegged as winning the entire competition.


During international week we said goodbye to the last male sewer, Josh. I liked him too but he was actually struggling to stay in for a few weeks. I actually liked his go for it attitude and I think we will be hearing from him in the future.


During 60's week we said goodbye to Angeline. Someone else who had previously won garment of the week. I was a little sad that Angeline didn't make it. I thought she was quite skilled but then her 60's coat did not turn out well and so I think the judges had no choice.


Last week it was Rumana's turn. Like Josh she had been struggling for a few weeks and like Jade she started out with little confidence in herself. Sadly she didn't really gain much although I quite liked some of her makes. She lost with her yoga outfit which sadly was out of shape.

Well, that's me all caught up. Friday I will provide some links for you after watching it this weeks. We are approaching the end and there are very competent sewers in there. For now I have no idea who might be a possible contender for winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment